Thursday, March 25, 2010

Paper Towns by John Green

This was posted as a comment last night, but it is so cool it has to go in the main blog!


I just read Paper Towns by John Green and it's freakin' awesome! Awesome enough for me to write a review so other people will read it anyway. And they will. They'll be like, "Oh, Micah wrote a review of that book, it must be cool." I'm betting popularity will double over night. At least. You better not delete this bit Ms Schaumann.

Anyway...

The book is written through the eyes of High School senior Quentin Jacobsen ("Q" to his friends), who is basically your average non-jock type teenager. As in every good story there is a love interest, the lovely Margo Roth Spiegelman.

Basically, Quentin and Margo grew up together and shared several lovely childhood experiences (such as finding a suicide victim pinned to a tree with a bullet through his head) but over the past few years they have chosen separate paths with Quentin becoming the semi-nerdy, hang out with the unknown band type, but Margo becoming the popular, burst into the famous band's R18 gig and jump on stage, making everyone think she is actually a member and then ditching the band later on type.

Without ruining too much of the plot I can say that the book is less of a story about the characters and more of a lesson about you as a person, it displays the whole spirit of being a teenager thing perfectly without being too romancy, too deep or most importantly too boring.

I'm not going to give a star rating (mostly because the only awesome thing about stars is their power to make Super Mario invincible), instead I'll give it a 7/10 llamas rating.

I loved this book a lot, I would definitely buy a copy. It made me want to grab my best mates, ditch my little town and drive somewhere far away for no good reason. Then I realised I live in New Zealand so pretty much every town is little except for Auckland and Wellington, both of which are in the South Island so I can't drive there. And that just made me depressed.

So...

If you want a good read, to learn something about yourself and to ultimately end up wishing you lived in America, read this book.

You know you want to.
-Micah

2 comments:

  1. Awesome review Micah! I didn't delete a thing! As if I would, you know me better than that don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I do! "Ms Schaumann: Letting Micah's all over King's High be random since 2007."

    ReplyDelete

Please think carefully before you comment. Only niceness and kindness is allowed!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails